Sunday 3 October 2010

Virtual PC Network Settings With Wireless Adapter

I created a Windows XP virtual PC in Microsoft Windows Virtual PC 2007 and needed to get it to connect to the internet for updates and authentication.

The host PC was connected to the internet via a wireless connection.

This are the steps I took to get this working successfully.
In the virtual machine settings, in the Networking section, I selected the wireless adapter from the list.
See screenshot

Then on the virtual machine I went to Control Panel, networking, and configured the local connection settings to match those in the host machine. Since I was using manually assigned IP addresses I made sure the ip address itself was the same as the host, but everything else, matched the host's configuration.

The virtual machine could now communicate over the internet.

To connect to a Windows Domain, make sure the DNS address in the network adapter properties is the IP address of the Domain Controller. I have found that having an alternate DNS address here, even as the number 2 can prevent the VM joining the domain.

No comments: